My friend Abhijit Jana recently published a book “Kinect for Windows SDK Programming Guide”. The book covers step-by-step tutorial to demonstrate the API usage with well explanation and code sample for beginners.
Hence I thought to share this to my blog readers and followers in case it helps you to learn Kinect programming. Sharing herewith a sample chapter and other links.
What you will learn from this book
If you are looking for a complete tutorial on Kinect, this book will help you to build application using the Kinect for Windows SDK v1.6 by using practical step-by-step chapters with examples and API analysis. A perfect guide for a beginner on Kinect with the following points that you will learn here:
- Understand the Kinect sensor in terms of a device, different components, and how they work.
- Step by step installation guide of SDK, troubleshooting tips and development environment setup.
- Reading the Kinect device information, monitoring and notifying the sensor status change.
- Automatically adjust the sensor elevation angle
- Understand different approaches of capturing data stream from Kinect sensor.
- Learn the uses of color, depth and IR data and how to leverage them in your applications.
- Use skeleton-tracking for interactive applications and leveraging the applications to gesture-enabled application
- Understand usages of Microphone array and build speech-enabled applications with Speech API
- Develop applications using Multiple Kinects
- Understand how to design cross device application with Kinect
Download sample chapter “Understanding the Kinect Device” in PDF format:
The book begins with explaining the different components of Kinect and then moves into setting up the device and getting the development environment ready. There are complete 11 chapters in this book which will help you to learn developing applications using Kinect. Here are the chapter details for your reference:
- Understanding the Kinect Device
- Getting Started
- Starting to Build Kinect Applications
- Getting the Most out of Kinect Camera
- The Depth Data – Making Things Happen
- Human Skeleton Tracking
- Using Kinect's Microphone Array
- Speech Recognition
- Building Gesture-controlled Applications
- Developing Applications Using Multiple Kinects
- Putting Things Together
Purchase it Online
If you are interested to purchase it online, you can get that from the publisher packtpub site as well as from amazon or flipkart too. Here are the links to get quick details of the book and link to purchase it online (check out the discounts before order):
About the Author
Abhijit works with Microsoft as a .NET Consultant as part of Microsoft Services Global Delivery, India. As a Consultant, his job is to help customers design, develop and deploy enterprise level secure solutions using Microsoft Technologies. Apart from being a Former Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional), he is a speaker and author as well as an avid Technology Evangelist.
He has delivered sessions at prestigious Microsoft events like TechED, Web Camps, Azure Camps, Community Tech Days, Virtual Tech Days, Dev days and developer conference. He loves to work with different .NET Communities and help them with different opportunities. He is a well-known author and has published many articles on various .NET Community sites. He shares his thoughts on his personal blog at http://abhijitjana.net. You can follow him on Twitter at @abhijitjana.