Microsoft Windows Insiders head, Gabe Aul, in a blog post announced the availability of Windows 10 Mobile Insider preview build 10581 for the fast ring users. If you are one of the fast ring insiders to test Windows 10 Mobile build before it flights the final one, you might have already got the update notification.
This build doesn’t have significant new features but has a no. of fixes and performance improvements. As it is still under development release, it has some known issues too. Find them listed in this post.
Microsoft finally fixed the upgrade bug in this build. So now, if you are in earlier build, you don’t need the Windows Phone Recovery Tool to go back to Windows Phone 8.1 to upgrade to the new build. That means, you can directly upgrade to this build from any prior insider preview build of Windows 10.
As announced by Gabe Aul, this build has a bunch of fixes and performance improvements. It also has a no. of known issues which are going to fix in next releases. Here is a list of what has been fixed followed by the list of known issues.
Issues fixed in preview build 10581
- For devices upgraded from Windows Phone 8.1 like the Lumia 930, Lumia Icon and Lumia 1520 that had the “Hey Cortana” feature – with this build “Hey Cortana” should work again in Windows 10. To make sure it’s turned on, just go to Settings > Extras > Hey Cortana.
- You can now select photos for sharing through third party apps like Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram Beta, WhatsApp etc.
- Battery life should be improved in this build. Microsoft fixed several bugs impacting battery life.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where you couldn’t choose some apps to show quick status on the Lock screen via Settings > Personalization > Lock screen.
- They have also made improvements to text prediction and auto-correction.
- Video recording functionality has been improved.
- Visual Voicemail sync should now work properly.
- The dual-SIM issues that appeared in Build 10572 has been fixed.
- Microsoft team also fixed the issue found with Build 10572 where the Chinese Pinyin QWERTY keyboard stopped working after upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1 that the Chinese Windows Insiders reported.
Known issues in preview build 10581
- As with previous builds, after applying this update the device may appear at a black screen for about 5 minutes when transition between the spinning gears and the final stages of update. Just be patient and it should progress past it. Exact time will vary by device.
- You will be unable to set your default save locations via Settings > System > Storage and will not correctly reflect the current storage settings. If you are using a SD card in your phone, it will show up as a garbled name in Storage settings. Whatever you had configured for your save locations in the previous build will be the same.
- After moving some apps to a SD card, those apps might crash. The workaround is to reboot your phone and those apps should work fine thereafter.
- Deploying Silverlight apps through Visual Studio to your phone won’t work in this build. You can deploy UWP apps to your phone without any issues.
- If you restore a backup from a phone that had a different resolution, you may end up with a corrupted Start experience. The workaround is to go to Action Center (which won’t be corrupted) then Settings > Personalization > Start and apply a different background picture.
As it is a developer preview build, it might have other issues not discovered till date. Please report those along with feedback and suggestions via the insider app to Microsoft.