Microsoft's Windows insiders chief Dona Sarkar in a blog post announces a new build 14971 for the fast ring PC users. If you are a Windows Insider on the fast ring, check for updates. It has a number of new things for you to try.
It also has a set of improvements and fixes; including few known issues. Download, install and check out if you can figure out any issues. Do report via the Feedback app.
Microsoft Edge Improvements:
Windows 10 Insiders Preview build 14971 focuses new improvements. You will now be able to read unprotected EPUB books in Microsoft Edge. When you open it, you will be taken into a customizable reading experience where you can change the font, text size and choose between 3 themes: light, sepia and dark. You can leave bookmarks, use the table of contents or seek bar at the bottom of the browser. You can also search for words or phrases and use Cortana to define specific words.
Inclusion of Paint 3D Preview App:
Starting with this build, Microsoft started pushing the 'Paint 3D Preview' app. Opening Paint from Start will now take you to the Paint 3D Preview app. Currently, Paint 3D Preview is only available in English – support for other languages will be coming soon.
PowerShell as the default Command Shell:
PowerShell is going to be the defacto command shell from File Explorer. It replaces the Command Prompt (aka, “cmd.exe”) in the Win + X menu, in File Explorer’s File menu and in the context menu that appears when you right-click holding the Shift key on the whitespace in File Explorer.
Other Improvements and Fixes:
- Microsoft fixed an issue where the IME might crash due to an incompletely downloaded or corrupted dictionary file.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where conversion was used mixed with prediction and an UX issue when trying to change phrase segmentation.
- Fixed an issue that could result in unexpected graphic glitches after using the IME for an extended period of time.
- Based on the feedback, Microsoft added the 'Get Office' version 2.0 in this build. They have redesigned the experience to make easier to find what you’re looking for.
- Based on users feedback, Microsoft removed the experimental “Snooze” action from Microsoft Edge.
- The cursor will no longer be shown while inking.
- Improved reliability when using the protractor and inking in Sketchpad.
- Microsoft updated some of the desktop wizards to now be proportionally sized when moved across monitors.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where Magnifier’s keyboard shortcuts sometimes wouldn’t work on the Lock screen.
- They fixed an issue that could result in sometimes not being able to completely remove files in the Windows.old folder using Disk Cleanup.
- They have enabled OAuth support for Yahoo Mail accounts.
- Fixed an issue where trying to shut down the PC while certain Device Manager dialog boxes were open would result in the PC being stuck at the “Restarting…” screen.
- Fixed an issue where closing multiple tabs with middle click in Microsoft Edge, the width of the tabs might change.
- Fixed an issue where the copy link option when right-clicking a hyperlink in Microsoft Edge wasn’t working.
- They fixed an issue where Microsoft Edge window was not able to retain the preferred window size.
- They fixed an issue where pinned tabs in Microsoft Edge were not being restored.
- Microsoft made a number of translation improvements, including Chinese language.
- They fixed an issue where expanding a second notification would result in it expanding then immediately closing.
- They also fixed an issue where preferred Start menu width might not be preserved after rebooting.