Today, Microsoft released a patch for Visual Studio 2015 Update 3, which was released on 27th June 2016. It is a cumulative update with fixes to the existing Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 installation. If you have installed Update 3, install the patch KB3165756 mentioned below.
Though it is not mandatory, but good to have install this patch as it addresses many fixes related to memory leaks, crash and other issues.
These fixes part of the patch "KB3165756" dated. 12th July 2016 for Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 addresses high priority bugs that were either found by the product team or reported by the community. After installing this update, the version no. of Visual Studio 2015 will increase to 14.0.25422.01.
You can download this update either from Microsoft Download Center or directly from Visual Studio 2015 by following this path: "Tools -> Extensions and Updates -> Updates -> Product Updates".
This patch includes fixes for the following issues:
- Memory leak in Visual Studio when you use the editor light bulb to apply code actions to a C# or Visual Basic file.
- Some large C# and Visual Basic projects that contain thousands of source files may experience memory and performance degradation. The reason behind this was compilation symbols unnecessarily realized.
- Shared projects may report an error after they are unloaded and reloaded if some of their source files are open.
- Visual Studio may crash and cause a stack overflow exception when it generates IntelliSense for some C# files that contain nested generic types.
- In ASP.NET .cshtml files, committing code completion after you type the full snippet may cause incorrect snippets to be added to the source file.
- Memory leak in the StandardCollector.Service.exe process may encounter when you debug managed code on Windows 7 that has Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 installed.
- When you edit TypeScript build properties, the outDir option does not save the changes that you made. After you make changes, the build properties page displays the previous state of outDir.